lundi 20 janvier 2020

I wasn't told why I was taken into care. For years I thought it was my fault

How can you adjust to a new situation, feel safe and settled, when you don’t know how you got there?

When I was taken into care at 15, I was moved 80 miles from home. My relationship with my mum had broken down and I felt isolated and frightened. I barely knew my social worker and didn’t know any of the staff or other young people in the care home. I didn’t know why I was there. I felt I simply had to accept everything these strangers were doing.

My experience will resonate with many young people taken into care; they may feel terrified and struggle to adjust to a new place, sometimes far away from where they have grown up, while strangers take control of the key decisions in their lives. They may not understand the jargon that gets bandied around.

Related: Foster carers should not be kept in the dark about the children they support

Related: Care leavers' feedback has the power to change services | Jimmy Paul

Related: Sign up for Society Weekly: our newsletter for public service professionals

Continue reading...

from Children | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3ap34z7

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire