mercredi 13 juin 2018

Hicham Benohoud's best photograph: the boy with the cardboard feet

‘I was bored teaching art in Marrakech, so I started taking photographs of my students instead’

For 13 years, I was an art teacher in Marrakech, teaching 11- to 15-year-olds, and I was very bored. An art class lasts an hour. The teacher spends 10 minutes explaining what the students have to do, then they spend the next 45 minutes doing it. And while they’re cutting out, drawing and colouring, the teacher just sits there at his desk. That repeats hourly, from 8am until 6pm, every single day.

So about four years in, I started making work in the classroom. I first became obsessed with hyperrealistic drawing. My students were what I had in front of me, so I started taking passport-style photographs of them, which I would copy. Within a few months, people thought my drawings were photographs. I then moved on to colour photographs and oil painting, before realising that the photographs were what was most interesting.

Running through the images in this series is the idea of Moroccan society being in limbo; a society out of kilter

Continue reading...

from Children | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2l52huJ

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire