lundi 4 juin 2018

My play aims to show the truth of social work: dedicated and inspiring

I want Left My Desk to be serious but also seriously entertaining as it challenges the negative view of the profession

Why are there so many negative depictions of social work in popular entertainment? Jack Thorne’s Kiri and Jo Brand’s Damned have begun to turn the tide, however they are still outnumbered by the abundance of police, medical and courtroom dramas, all portraying challenging situations and professions just as bureaucratic.

My play Left My Desk is about a children’s services social worker in a post-industrial Yorkshire town. The idea first formed two years ago; mid-way through a conversation with a friend, I shouted, “Hang on! You’re a social worker!”

Related: Damned: Jo Brand's new sitcom finds the humour in social work

Related: How to change perceptions of social work in the media

Continue reading...

from Children | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2Hh8oVu

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire